BSC is currently seeking a Coastal Engineer with 5 to 15 years’ experience to strengthen BSC’s coastal services practice. The position can be based in BSC’s Massachusetts, NH, or CT offices.
The ideal candidate for this position will have technical experience in designing and permitting a variety of coastal projects and must be a licensed or registered professional engineer in MA, NH or CT, and have the ability to acquire licenses in the other New England states. As a technical expert, the candidate will work with a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on a broad range of coastal engineering projects.
The candidate who fills this position will join a high performing team that provides clients with multi-disciplinary engineering and science-based solutions to coastal management challenges including coastal engineering, coastal flood risk and adaptation design, and dredged material management. Responsibilities of this position include both leading and supporting the technical execution of projects within BSC’s Boston, Andover, Cape Cod, NH, and CT offices.
Exceptional candidates of any experience level will be considered.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of SOQs and proposals for coastal resilience and coastal infrastructure-related RFPs.
- Manage and perform engineering analysis, preliminary, and detail design of coastal structures.
- Manage projects (scope, budget, schedule) and work with sub-consultants and BSC team members and assure quality control of work throughout project execution, including:
- all aspects for the design and permitting of waterfront developments including piers, marinas and boardwalks;
- analysis and design of structures for flood and erosion control such as seawalls, bulkheads, revetments and breakwaters, wave fences and fendering, and private and waterfront recreation structures such as fishing piers, marina docking structures, and boat launch ramps;
- contributing to beach nourishment and erosion solutions;
- conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations;
- completing mooring and berthing analyses and design;
- dredging design and permitting;
- preparation of project specifications, bid and contract documents;
- construction contract administration; and
- site inspections and reports;
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with industry standard analysis and design software.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills.
- Experience working on multidisciplinary teams involving surveyors, environmental scientists, structural engineers, civil engineers, landscape architects and planners.
- Support regional dredged material management and coastal restoration efforts
- Knowledge of FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program and experience implementing FEMA’s coastal flood hazard analysis and mapping methodologies.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a focus on coastal/ocean science or engineering, oceanography, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven experience with project delivery for multiple Federal, State and local coastal agencies/clients, specific experience with USACE, FEMA, USGS, NOAA strongly preferred.